Thursday Mar 22 2018
Today we are pleased to hear from one of our expert interior designers, Michelle. She is dishing out her top design tips when it comes to new home construction. Taking on a design project like building a home can feel overwhelming, but don't worry! Michelle is here to help give some great main points for tackling a new home build. Every great design ending starts with solid design planning.
1. Creating a Master Plan and Budget
- First, choose the size of home that will fit your needs. Factor in what specific spaces will be utilized the most! Consider choosing a larger gathering area if entertaining is important to you or a bigger mud/laundry room for busy, active kids. Essentially, choose a plan that fits your lifestyle.
- You can modify any basic plan with the assistance of a civil engineer. A basic outline can be a helpful guide when selecting a final floor plan. Make a list of what your absolutes are and what you are willing to negotiate with the builder. Clear communication is crucial for a successful build.
- Consider splurging on a separate electrical plan. Outlet and lighting placement are not fully thought through. Avoid the costly mistake and inconvenience of any electrical changes after completion by having a great plan in place from the beginning.
- Budget for window coverings, furniture and landscaping. These items are very important but often get pushed aside simply because the funds were not part of the original planning process.
2. Select the Right Builder
- Remember to get referrals for a good builder as this is so important. Set interviews with several builders before making your selection. Some key questions may be - are they a hands-on builder or do they have superintendents? Do they exclusively use loyal subcontractors or tend to get the best price for subs?
- Feel like you have clear and honest communication with the builder you choose. Ensure your building experience will be a positive one. This starts with making a good choice of who you build with.
- Know that your builder takes absolute pride in their product, and most importantly in your home.
3. Expect the Unexpected
- Expect that there will be unforseen circumstances when building it is all part of the process.
- Many people and products are involved in the home construction so you can guarantee a few things may not go exactly as planned but will work out in the end.
- Set clear communication with your builder. You may want to establish ahead of time how you would like to work through a complication if it arises.
With a good plan, budget, and builder you trust, your new home build can be a great success and turn out better than you ever imagined! Our expert designers at The Black Goose Design can create a master design plan to work with you and your builder in creating the home you have always dreamed of! Thank you Michelle for these delightful designer tips and helpful guidelines on the topic of new home construction.