How to Create a Designer Lighting Plan: Expert Tips from our Designer Pt. 1
Thursday Oct 26 2017
Today one of our talented designers, Heather, is spilling some expert tips on how to create a master plan for lighting your home! Lighting is one of the most important and powerful elements of interior design, and it is key for a well-designed home. The lighting used in your space will strongly affect the overall feel and ambiance of your space. We are excited to present these wonderful tips to help you illuminate your home with layers of beautiful, inviting lighting.
- A great way to add style and additional task lighting in a kitchen or dining area is with pendant lights! We suggest hanging your perfect pendants 36" above the countertop allowing for ample lighting for your task space.
- Incorporate a light above your sink area whether it is a can light, small pendant or a sconce. The added light will not only highlight this area but will provide additional task lighting.
- Under cabinet lighting will brighten up your kitchen. Mount your lighting as close to the front of the cabinet as possible. This will help prevent glare that may show on your work surface.
- Use lighting inside of cabinetry with glass door fronts. Installing lights inside of the cabinets will allow for an amazing accent with an extra soft glow. If you are feeling extra fancy, add an LED light strip inside of your drawers.
When lighting is used correctly, it can enhance and accent particular aspects in your space creating an inviting atmosphere. Consider adding a mini chandelier over your tub, this will cast beautiful shadows in the evening and will give charm to your home.
- Use the length and width of the room as a guideline to determine an adequate size of a chandelier for your dining space. Be sure to select a size that will fit the scale of the room. Avoid selecting a piece that may be too small or too large for the dining table and overall area.
- For a pleasing proportion, place your lighting piece between half and three quarters of the table's length to ensure the best lighting when dining, or consider placing two pieces over your table.
- The dining table should be the focal point of your dining room; therefore, it should be illuminated well. If other lighting is used in the room, put them on a dimmer. This will make the walkways visually look like a secondary accent space.
- Install sidelights in a bathroom. This placement will be the most flattering to your face so consider using sconces. Lighting shining from above creates shadows. By using sconces, this will help you to look your best!
- A general rule is to place the sconces 36-40" apart and take note not to place them too high to avoid the glare of the light in your eye. Hang the bottom of the shade approximatley at eye level, 60-65" is a good standard.
- For a designer look, consider using a backlit mirror in a powder bath for a little ambiance. Another nice touch would be adding in a toe-kick light to illuminate the entire space.
Be inspired by bold beautiful layers of light, do not shy away from illuminating your space with soft ambiant lighting. Adding in layers of light will always enhance and highlight areas of your home. Warm lighting gives off such a refreshed and brightening feeling.
Our talented designers are always eager to assist you in creating a lighting plan that is tailored to your exact design needs. The Black Goose Design also offers expert interior design services to help you achieve your design goals. Allow our skilled designers to execute a master design plan to give you a solid foundation to accomplish any design project.